You just arrived in your new city - Lyon - ready to start a new life for a few months or a few years... but first, you have to find a place to live! You’re dreaming of fabulous shared accommodation in the city center of Lyon, but housing in big French cities is a real challenge. You’ll first have to organize your searches, plan your budget, set up your rental file, and then find some flats that match with your ideal criteria, all the while competing with dozens of other candidates and trying your best to avoid scams. Seems daunting, doesn’t it? Well, don’t worry - here are five top tips for finding the perfect shared apartment in Lyon!
1. Think about what accommodation is the most useful
Before comparing every website, you can to find a flatshare, it is best to think about your search criteria. If you’re new in the city, you may not know anyone yet, and you also may not have any furniture: so you’ll need to find ready-to-live accommodation.
Here are some requirements you have to keep in mind while you are looking for accommodation :
● The location: think about what neighborhoods are next to your school or where you work. This will help you to reduce the number of results, showing only areas that are within a reasonable traveling distance. No need to cut it too much, though, Lyon has a vast public transport network! So if you can’t find any flat near your workplace, you can always find one next to a metro station.
● The furniture: to make your move more comfortable, we advise you to look for a furnished flatshare.
● The roommates: flat sharing means living in a community. Don’t hesitate to contact your future roommate before moving in. The first contact is vital to know if you’ll “feel at home” in this place.
2. Give yourself as many opportunities as possible
While searching for shared accommodation, we all visit the same well-known websites : appartager, immojeune, roomlala, La carte des colocs… There are a lot of good offers on these sites, but it’s not the only way to find a flatshare. Why not give new websites a try!
You may find the room of your dreams on :